Your Health is Your Wealth: consulting on a new public health policy for a healthier Ireland
The Department of Health is developing a new public health policy to help people live healthier and more fulfilling lives and to create social conditions that ensure good health, on equal terms for the entire population. The policy will realise the provisions in the Programme for Government regarding a healthier population that will be protected from health threats, living in a healthier and more sustainable environment, with increased social and economic productivity and greater social inclusion.
To succeed in developing and implementing a first-class public health policy, in which everyone is encouraged to play a part in protecting and improving the nation’s health, a consultation process has been mapped out to ensure wide engagement. Dr James Reilly, Minister for Health was joined by Frances Fitzgerald, Minister for Children, and Ministers of State; Róisín Shortall and Kathleen Lynch at the consultation event launching ‘Your Health is Your Wealth: a policy framework for a healthier Ireland 2012-2020’ held on 13 June.
Keynote speakers included:
- Ms Zsuzsanna Jakab, WHO Regional Director for Europe
- Professor Sir Michael Marmot, Director, University College London Institute for Society and Health
- Professor Sheila Greene, Director, Children’s Research Centre, Trinity College Dublin
- Dr Michael McBride, Chief Medical Officer, DHSSPS, Northern Ireland
- Mr Tom O’Mahony, Secretary General, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport